PLEASE NOTE – THE 2015 BURRATOR PERAMBULATION HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
The walk starts at the Quarry Car Park at Burrator at 9am (54946767) and goes to these ten tors: Peek Hill (55646994), Leather Tor (56257003), Sharpitor (56037026), Black Tor (57337179), Hart Tor (58117197), South Hessary Tor (59697235), Cramber Tor (58397118), Down Tor (58166944), Combshead Tor (58686882) and Sheeps Tor (56566826); the grid references are in some cases where the checkpoint or a flag will be rather than at the top of the tor – but do not let that stop you going to the summit!
In addition intrepid walkers might also like to visit the following ten lesser known tors on their way round: Claig Tor (54976777), Lowery Tor (55636976), Lower Leather Tor (56296984), Little Down Tor (57656938), Hingston Hill (58576915), Click Tor/Outcombe Rocks (58006849), Rough Tor (57436855), Narrator (56696839), Maiden Tor (56286812) and Burra Tor (55236791).
Online booking for the Burrator Perambulation here.
You can also book using the PDF form and completing with payment and mailing to the address contained.
– Burrator Perambulation Booking Form
Please also help us by publicising the event. Let your friends know on Social Media, also download and display the poster at your place of work if possible?
– Burrator Perambulation Poster
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE WALK
Suitable equipment for a day on the open moor in September, bearing in mind what conditions are likely during that part of the year. You should have at least a map, compass, torch, food and fluids, whistle, waterproofs and a hat, gloves and suitable footwear. For greater safety take a first aid kit, survival bag/kisu and spare clothing. Be prepared for any-thing from warm sun to cold rain.
As some of the walk is on open Moor, at least one of the team must have basic navigation i.e. compass and map reading skills.
The walk will start at 0900 hours and no walkers will be allowed to start after 0915. The cut off time for the finish will be 17.00. There will also be a cut off time of 15.00 at Cramber Tor so that teams unlikely to finish in time can make their way to Norsworthy Bridge then along the road to the Quarry Car Park.
Preparation of Own Route
The route will start and finish at the Quarry Car Park. Walkers need to produce their own route card going to the ten tors listed above in the order shown, and must have their checkpoint sheet signed at the 7 checkpoints as well as the finish.
The Map used for the information and preparation of this walk is Ordnance Survey Outdoor Leisure Number 28, Map of Dartmoor North & South, 1:25,000.
DID YOU KNOW THAT DARTMOOR SEARCH & RESCUE TEAM PLYMOUTH:
- Provides a vital all year round search and rescue service throughout South West Devon, East Cornwall and Dartmoor
- Is a voluntary organisation funded by donation
- Provides the Police with nearly 1,000 man-hours of search resources annually
- Provides a valuable search resource that regularly helps the elderly, infirm and those with mental health issues
- Assists at public events providing first aid cover with our qualified Casualty Carers, some of whom are medical staff in their day jobs?
- Pays nothing to volunteers for their role and all funds go towards equipment and running costs
- Oversees the safety of over 2000 children during the annual Ten Tors event