How We Help You
Did you know that The Dartmoor Search & Rescue Team Plymouth:
- Is a voluntary organisation, a registered charity funded by donation
- Provides a vital all year round search and rescue service throughout South West Devon, East Cornwall and Dartmoor
- Provides the Police with well in excess of 1,000 man – hours of search resources annually
- Helps to oversee the safety of over 2000 youngsters during the annual Ten Tors event
- Provides a valuable search resource that regularly helps the elderly, infirm and those with mental health conditions
- Pays nothing to volunteers for their role
- Assists at public events providing first aid cover with our qualified Casualty Carers, some of whom are medical staff in their day jobs?
What exactly is a Callout?
Searches are planned and executed by one of our Search Mangers. He is assisted by 3 other deputies who work closely with him and the police to come up with the best search plan for the particular incident they are dealing with.
Once they have a plan, Search Team Leaders are briefed, and then deployed to put the plan into action.
Hopefully we find the person we are searching for. Sometimes however, we may not find them on the first attempt, and this is when searches can become a long drawn out affair with a lot of resources being deployed and replaced over a few days. In these cases, we bring in another Search Team and they may take over from our team or work alongside us.